Sunday, March 10, 2013

Mardy Fish Wins Battle of America



Two Americans squared off in the first match of the day here in Stadium One and it was Mardy Fish, the 32nd-ranked player in the world, who prevailed in the civil war of second round tennis at Indian Wells.  Fish rallied to win the final four games to defeat qualifier Bobby Reynolds 6-3, 3-6, 6-4.

For Fish, it was his first match back on the ATP tour since withdrawing from the U.S. Open last September.  He has been battling a rare heart condition and wondered if he'd ever play the game again. 

"I've retired fifteen times in my head," he said prior to his return.

I feel a strong bond with Fish after recently purchasing the Mardy Fish edition Wilson tennis racquet at Dick's Sporting Good for $29.99.  He may not know who I am, but he's always with me in the form of a cheap tennis racquet sitting unused and untouched in the trunk of my car.

Today, I was ecstatic to see him win in his return and I feel like the $29.99 was a small price to pay for building that bond we shared today at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment