Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Five Burning Questions For Wednesday


I'm about to walk over to watch John Isner versus Richard Gasquet but there are five questions weighing on my mind this morning that I'd like to share before I go...

1.) Can James Blake advance to the round of 16?

James Blake is in the Western & Southern Open's second round for the second year in a row and he has a favorable draw, compared to other potential opponents, in today's matchup. He'll face qualifier Dmitry Tursunov in the third match of the day on Court 9.

The 33-year-old American upset No. 16 seed Jerzy Janowicz in the first round in Monday night's grand finale at Center Court. He has a 2-1 career record over Tursunov, today's opponent.

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

2.) Martina Hingis still plays tennis?

Forgive me for not knowing this, but I was unaware Martina Hingis still played professional tennis. The woman who spent a total of 209 weeks atop the WTA singles rankings throughout her career is back in the game competing with Daniela Hantuchova in women's doubles competition. Today, they'll face top-seeded Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci in the tournament's second round.

It was so sad to see Hingins forced into retirement at such a young age with injuries. Glad to see she's back on the court.

3.) Does Milos Raonic have any gas left in the tank?

I was surprised to see Raonic get the win over Sock yesterday, especially after losing the first set. Raonic had a long run in Montreal over the weekend with only Monday off before returning to action. He'll give it a go again today against Janko Unchained in his eighth match in nine days.

Does he have anything left in him?

4.) Will we see an upset on Center Court?

And Murray just won soundly in the first match of the day with Serena Williams, Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, and Li Na still left to play.

Will we see any upsets against the tournament's high seeds?

Probably not.

5.) Why do so many spectators dress like they're about to play?

Just wondering. I'm trying to get this gigantic tennis ball autographed but I can't tell who's a professional and who took the day off from work to come out and watch. The tennis apparel industry must be booming.


Talk to you soon.

1 comment:

  1. The last tennis match I went to see, I dressed like my favorite tennis player, too. But showing up in a Maria Sharapova tennis skirt just got me arrested. Since I'm out of bail money, I think next time I'll just go dressed like Matt Jones. Then no one will give me a second look.

    ReplyDelete