Thursday, August 15, 2013

ICYMI: Marion Bartoli retired last night


The tennis world received some unexpected news last night during Marion Bartoli's press conference following her loss to Simona Halep. The reigning Wimbledon champion announced that she will be retiring from the sport. She cited injuries as part of the reason behind the decision to hang it up.

"My body just can't do it anymore," she told reporters when asked why now. "I've been already through a lot of injuries since the beginning of the year. I've been on the tour for so long, and I really push through and leave it all during that Wimbledon."

Bartoli took a month off after her Wimbledon win, her first Grand Slam title, and returned to the tour last week in Toronto. An abdominal injury forced her to withdraw from a third-round match.

"My body is just done," she said.

But she leaves behind a long and successful career, and most importantly, that Wimbledon title. She called that tournament the last little bit she had in her. 

I guess you can say she's leaving the game at the right time, and with the prestigious hardware she always dream of.